Carroll Baldwin Hall
Carroll Baldwin Memorial Hall was built in 1921-22 to honor the life of Carroll Baldwin, the beloved supervisor of Savage Mill until his death in 1918.
The Hall, a Maryland Historical Trust site, is a two-story structure built of local materials. The signature stonework of the exterior is river stone from the nearby Little Patuxent River, and was reportedly moved to the site via mule-pulled wagons.
The Richardsonian Romanesque-style building was constructed "for the welfare and happiness of the whole community." For many years, the Hall hosted movie screenings and staged performances in the upper level, and housed a bowling alley in the basement. From 1966 to 1991 it served as the Savage Branch of the Howard County library system. Learn more in the Historical Marker Database.
Carroll Baldwin Hall still functions as a community center today. In recent years, it has undergone extensive renovations to ensure it will continue to serve as a focal point of the community.
It is maintained by the hard work of a number of volunteers, including the board of Carroll Baldwin Memorial Institute, Inc. (CBMI), a 501(c)3 whose mission is to preserve and maintain this historic landmark for the people of the Savage community for continued use for social, educational, and recreational activities.
Support Our Work
Contact CBMI to volunteer.
Consider making a tax-deductible donation to the Hall today.
Learn more about the history of the mill town of Savage, and its rich legacy today. Visit Baldwin Common, the Howard County park adjacent to Carroll Baldwin Hall, and read the historic placards. Contact the Hall Manager to schedule a historic tour inside the Hall. Tours are offered by appointment.